A long-term training programme providing young people in Wales with skills and work experience across the cultural heritage sector
The Cultural Ambition project works across Wales with a network of leading heritage partners including museums, castles, archives, libraries and cultural heritage sites, to provide young people who are no longer in the education system or working, with in-depth skills development and work experience. It launched in 2018 and has so far provided over 26 young people with paid training placements, across 3 annual programmes.
The project is led by Creative & Cultural Skills and funded by the National Lottery Heritage Fund and the Welsh Government’s Museums, Archives and Libraries Division.
‘The perfect experience for someone considering a career in culture and heritage’ Previous Cultural Ambition trainee, Harri Macquire (read his case study)
‘It’s the best opportunity for young people to get into the sector’ Previous Cultural Ambition trainee, Danielle Edmunds (read her case study)
- Trainees will gain a unique insight into what it means to work in the cultural heritage sector, by undertaking virtual placements with two different cultural heritage sites.
- Trainees will be mentored by staff members at those sites and included in any work that the organisations are delivering during this time. Once sites start to re-open, and when it is safe to do so, trainees will get the opportunity to complete aspects of their placements on site.
- As well as virtual placements, the programme will include masterclasses delivered by some of the site mentors and employability training to help with next steps once trainees have completed the programme.
- Trainees will work towards an NVQ Level 2 Cultural Heritage qualification as part of the traineeship, this is delivered “on-the-job" and through online sessions with Cardiff and Vale College.
- Trainees will receive a bursary of £800 per month, for every month of the traineeship.
- All trainees will be provided with laptops for the duration of their traineeship, we can also support with internet connectivity if required.
Further information (these links open as a PDF in a new window):
- Cultural Ambition Project Trainee Profile 2021 (English)
- Cultural Ambition Project Trainee Profile 2021 (Cymraeg)
- Cultural Ambition FAQs (English)
- Cultural Ambition FAQs (Cymraeg)